Tuesday, September 7, 2010

Is Brazil ready ?


http://online.wsj.com/video/rio-hotel-hostages-escape-shootout/6E7FEC04-6303-4B2A-A794-B1D71758E068.html I watched this short video about how a group of armed gunmen, after having a shootout with the police in Rio de Janeiro, entered Rio de Janeiro's International Hotel, taking 35 civilians hostage. The situation was resolved. Towards the end, the reporter says, "Violent crime is a major problem in Rio, where heavily armed drug gangs controls its many slums.... and it will host 2014 World Cup and 2016 Olympic Games." That made think if Brazil is actually ready to host these two major events.

Being a Brazilian, I am excited that my home country has the opportunity to host these major events, but I’m also a realist and Brazil is not ready. I lived in Brazil for 17 years and I know that violent crimes are a major problem all around Brazil. I have seen and experienced the violence; I’ve been kidnapped, shot at and now, when I visit, I’m always with an armed bodyguard and I only drive around in bulletproof cars. The violence in Brazil is a major problem and it will affect the 2014 World Cup and the 2016 Olympic Games.

I love my country, but I think that Brazil is not ready to host these events.

1 comment:

  1. Is Brazil ready to host the World Cup and Olympic Games? Is Oak Cliff in Dallas a good place for a parade? Like you, I have experienced my share of violence, but not to your extent of being kidnapped. I have been turned around from the border after being advised that there was a gun fight happening not to far from the border between the police and the drug cartels. Like you, I am a realist as well and I do believe that unless Brazil can sharpen up their security and rid the nation of the insecurity and cartels, I do believe that the world may dare attend the greatest events in history.

    ReplyDelete