Food?
Friends?
Health?
Facebook?
You can be thankful for many things in life but what about our education? For the most part, college students take for granted their education. Freshmen dropouts are evidence of this; about 56% percent of those who enroll in a college are able to graduate after 4 years. The first step for academic failure that many freshmen take is to focus more on exploiting their newly earned freedom by going to parties. Second step is not going to class. Third step, when things are starting to go down hill, is to start relying in academic dishonesty in order to achieve a desired result with the minimal amount of effort required to complete the task. Eventually the student will fail or be caught. We don’t realize how fortunate we are to be able to study in American university, which millions of students all around the world would kill to have this privilege. What is more important to have fun or decent grades? Decent grades doesn’t mean not having a social life; halving B’s on every course doesn’t require much work, just turning in all the hw and passing the exam with a amiable grade. Are you thankful for your education?
Thomas, I definitely agree with you on this. Being from another country, I know that it is a priviledge that I am studying in the US and I am thankful for it. But sometimes people do just take it for granted and struggle to find the balance between school and their social lives that is required to be succesfull in college. I really think that this balance is a key to having a great education and a great overall experience during our time here in college.
ReplyDelete